Spring is on its way! After a long dark and cold winter, the bright sun and warm winds of the spring are a breath of fresh air! The only downside? All that sunlight helps you see your leaf-filled gutters, cracked sidewalks, and dead plants in the flower beds. Get your home in shape for spring with this checklist!
- Examine Roof Shingles: Examine the roof to see if any shingles were lost or damaged under the winter snow and ice.
- Check the Gutters: Loose or leaky gutters can cause improper drainage, which can lead to water in your basement or crawlspace during the spring rain.
- Inspect the Concrete: Inspect concrete slabs for signs of cracks or movement. Fill cracks with concrete crack filler or silicone caulk, power-wash, and then seal the concrete.
- Remove Firewood: Firewood stored near the home for winter should be moved at least 18 inches off the ground and at least 2 feet from the structure.
- Check Outside Faucets: Check outside faucets for freeze damage. While you’re at it, check your garden hose for dry rot.
- Repair Window Screens: You will want to open the windows to let the fresh air in. Ensure small holes and tears are repaired so bugs don’t get in.
This is just a short list of items you can do to prepare your home for the spring. Winter was nice and cozy but Amherst Insurance Agency is ready for the spring sunshine! While you are preparing your home for the spring, it is a great time to review your homeowners insurance! Give Amherst Insurance Agency a call at (413) 253-5555 or visit us online at https://www.nathanagencies.com/ to speak with a representative.